The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announced this year’s nominees for the 35th annual News & Documentary Emmy® Awards, which recognizes outstanding achievement in broadcast journalism and documentary filmmaking. And ITVS is proud to say that nine of our documentaries received 13 nominations for 2013!
PBS received a total of 43 nominations — the most of any network — including 10 nominations for Independent Lens, 11 nominations for FRONTLINE (two for the ITVS-funded Outlawed in Pakistan), and six for POV (including Reportero), so it’s a great day all around for public media documentaries! The News & Documentary Emmy Awards will be presented on Tuesday, September 30th, 2014, in New York City. "These Emmy nominations are a testament to the expemplary journalism that independent documentary filmmakers practice," said Lois Vossen, Independent Lens Deputy Executive Producer. "They reflect the extraordinary vitality and diversity of our vibrant independent documentary community." And without further ado, here are the ITVS films receiving Emmy honors:
- Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry - Outstanding Arts and Culture Programming - Outstanding Editing: Documentary and Long Form
- Beauty Is Embarrassing - Outstanding Graphic Design & Art Direction
- Detropia - Outstanding Editing: Documentary and Long Form
- How to Survive a Plague - Outstanding Editing: Documentary and Long Form - Best Documentary
- The Invisible War - Best Documentary - Outstanding Investigative Journalism—Long Form
- Outlawed in Pakistan - Outstanding Informational Programming - Long Form - Outstanding Research
- Reportero - Outstanding Informational Programming—Long-Form Continued
- The Revolutionary Optimists - Outstanding Business and Economic Reporting—Long Form
- The Waiting Room - Outstanding Editing: Documentary and Long Form
From our blog
May 31, 2021
Julie Ha and Eugene Yi talk about the journey their film "Free Chol Soo Lee" has already made and the road that lies ahead, the importance of this story to Asian American activists, and impart some wisdom to doc makers about the process of applying to and working with ITVS.
May 21, 2021
A series of engagement events led by Independent Lens and Fair and Just Prosecution for Philly D.A. concluded with a survey around the criminal legal system. Read the results from more than 750 participants.
May 13, 2021
Experienced documentarians offer advice gleaned from their own journeys as filmmakers, from how to stick with it when it all seems so overwhelming, to finding your own support network, to how learning all the technical tricks of the trade will make your project stronger.